[extropy-chat] TECH: Fuel cells and terrorism

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Thu Jun 24 19:43:24 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

>Ok, I have to ask this question.  There is a big push
>by the major computer manufacturers (e.g. Toshiba [1])
>as well cell phone makers, MP3 player makers, etc. to
>power devices with fuel cells.
>
>The primary fuel cited for fuel cells is usually methanol.
>
>Now one of the major reasons to have such power sources
>is to use them on planes during long flights to Russia,
>South Africa, Japan, Australia, etc.  To refuel the
>fuel cells one presumably needs a container of methanol
>(similar to what one used/uses to use to refill cigarette
>lighters).  (Or one is going to a conference and one wants
>to bring along a refueling source because they may not
>be available at the conference site, etc.)

Forget terrorism. Carrying flammable liquids on a plane (including
cigarette lighters) has been prohibited for safety reasons since at
least when I started flying as a passenger in the 1950's. The problem is
that changes in cabin pressure can force some fluid out of a
poorly-sealed container, possibly causing a fire. Therefore, flammable
liquids are prohibited not only in the cabin, but also in checked luggage.

The solution: Planes should have 120VAC to each seat.

When you get to your destination, buy more methanol. It should be cheap.