[extropy-chat] POLITICS: terrorism and strategies

devon fowler dfowler282004 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 26 00:17:36 UTC 2004

--- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> Ok, one can distance oneself from my remarks or deal
> with
> them with sarcasm or state I'm shielding myself from
> critical
> opinions.  *But*:
>
> Lets start with:
> Triage: (from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)
>   Etymology: French, sorting, sifting, from trier to
> sort,
>    from Old French -- more at TRY
>   : the sorting of and allocation of treatment to
> patients and
>   especially battle and disaster victims according
> to a system of
>   priorities designed to maximize the number of
> survivors; broadly
>   : the assigning of priority order to projects on
> the basis of where
>   funds and resources can be best used or are most
> needed
>
> [Side note -- anyone who does not view the current
> loss of
> human life (on a global basis from a variety of
> sources)
> as a crime of monumental proportions when we are
> almost
> have the technical capabilities of extending human
> lifespan to thousands of years should come visit me
> in Seattle.
> I will be more than happy to whack you in the side
> of the
> head with both large and small books until this
> becomes
> completely clear.]
>
> Those not responding in a concrete way (because they
> find
> my proposed solutions repulsive or wrong) are part
> of the
> problem and not part of the solution.  You have
> obviously
> *not* been reading Kristoff's editorials in the NY
> Times
> about the situation in the Sudan.
>
> Sudan/Darfur situation: 180,000 to 1 million people
> displaced
>   (many of whom face starvation).
> Rwanda: 800,000 massacred in 1994
>
> (I don't recall seeing any discussion on the ExI
> list
> [other than my own] with regard to the Sudan
> situation
> which proposed *solutions*) and I doubt there was
> much
> discussion of the Rwanda situation when it was
> taking place
> a decade ago.
>
> in contrast:
> Hiroshima: 64,000 deaths.
> Nagasaki: 20,000 to 87,000 deaths (by various
> estimates).
>
> (And don't even get me started on the 12+ million
> people a
> year dying primarily from hunger [1] -- but the
> "treatments"
> I proposed earlier will not work with *that*
> problem.)
>
> Point being -- some, many, most (???) list members
> are sticking
> their heads in the sand.  Yes the concept of
> [...]
this triage idea is sick in by contemporary standards
as to how humans deal with killings on a massive scale
but still stand the test of reason.  Certainly I get
your sarcasm and see your inevitably simple point that
through inaction we are potentialy seeing more people
die, suffer, and be killed off through
non-intervention.  Sometimes it takes some black humor
to see the light so to speak :-)