[extropy-chat] POLITICS: oil and strategies

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jun 26 07:49:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 08:23:39PM -0500, damien wrote:

> motivated the Iraq wars to begin with. Maybe so, maybe not, but the current
> interests aren't going to be happy about any govt program to make them
> irrelevant--unless they're granted a very large piece of the action. I'd

This is precisely why synmethanol is a viable migration pathway to
sustainability. It makes both the fossil fuel and chemical industry happy.
ICUs can run on it, as well as direct methanol fuel cells and reformers
driving hydrogen fuel cells. Domestic coals and biomass can be a source of
synthesis gas, and hydrogen fuel cells also take hydrogen from photovoltaics.
Semiconductor and polymer photovoltaics initially take fossil energy and
fossil organics.

Everybody wins.