[extropy-chat] Open and hidden fascism in Exi forum

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 26 18:28:38 UTC 2004

--- Hubert Mania <humania at t-online.de> wrote:
> Congratulations, Extropians. You have just won a new
> enemy. His name is:
>
> Hubert Mania

Gee, I let a hot thread pile up for a few days 'cause
I don't have time to read it all, and I get a new
enemy out of it?  I know sometimes it feels like my
life goes on without me, but this is a new record.

> If you really think, it should be
> possible to discuss genocide
> in a calm and collective manner, you are already
> morally lost, and hide your
> barbarian persona behind a rational façade.

Any evil is wrong for a reason.  Sometimes the only
way to convince those who think evil thoughts to
change their ways is to explain, logically and
rationally, exactly why their evil is wrong.
Discussing the evil in a calm and collected manner.

Getting emotional about bad things can reinforce your
own morals against them, and can motivate you to take
action...but one needs logic to determine exactly what
the best action is.  Emotion often demands the
quickest, most pleasing solution, but this is
sometimes not the most effective solution (or, indeed,
sometimes at all effective, for instance in the old
saying, "If you teach a critter a lesson in cruelty,
don't be surprised if it learns that lesson").

Getting emotional can also lead one to false
conclusions - for instance, that silence by
listmembers implies any degree of agreement with one
position or another, especially given the demonstrated
history of listmembers sometimes being too busy to
participate in discussion.  (Some of us are trying to
create the future, and at times this leaves us no time
to discuss the future.)