[extropy-chat] Open and hidden fascism in Exi forum

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sun Jun 27 18:44:05 UTC 2004

Just to make sure we are all on the same page...

The Mirriam-Webster online dictionary defines "fascism" as:

1. "a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti)
that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for
a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe
economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition"

2. "a tendency toward actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial
control"

I would guess the best example of (1) would be Saddam and his
old regime.  Though there are certainly elements one could
identify in places like Myanmar and perhaps even China.  Russia
under communism, and especially when Stalin was in charge,
would be another good example.

Now, if Natasha or any of the other moderators were to ban
specific list discussions arbitrarily it would seem to be an
example of (2).

I don't think my comments would fullfill the bill because
they weren't really a "political", and certainly not a
"movement" or "regime".  I also was not advocating a
dictorial leader or an autocratic government.  I was
arguing preemptive attacks that would have significant
secondary side effects on people other than those guilty
of targeting Western societies.

Robert