[extropy-chat] Nanotech educations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jun 28 09:37:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 05:39:14PM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> > But there's nothing in the technical
> > symposium about, for
> > example, CAD systems that can allow us to design
> > with sub-molar numbers
> > of machines.  And I suspect at this point, it's CAD

CAD is the wrong-ended approach. 3d structure editors exist, and by now scale
into some 10^5 atoms. With current hardware there is no problem to render
some 10^9 atoms in realtime.

> > that'll turn out to
> > be the limiting factor in how quickly MNT can be
> > developed.
>
> ...?  I'm finding AutoCAD works just fine for laying
> out my designs, if I treat it like computer art (using

I find VMD has no trouble manipulating systems the
size of an SV40 virus. Given that we can't do more than to break and form a
few bonds in toto currently, the capabilities of manipulating and rendering
molecules and molecular systems in machina.

I've found the machine-phase people completely unresponsive when asked to
contribute to a CML specification suitable for representing
Drexler/Merkle/Freitas type of devices. There's an emerging standard, and our
needs are not accounted for.

Is this lame or what?

I haven't come across any single so-called nanotechnologist in all my years
on CCL, Gamess list & Co. Ditto biostructure.

> discrete pixel elements in 2D/3D arrangements; a
> consequence of what they call "Manhattan geometry")
> and I've only about 125 * 10^6 atoms - far less than a
> mole - per voxel.  Granted, I need software to convert
> to the file formats the machines use (like GDS), but
> that's easy enough to pick up.  And I know AutoCAD and
> similar packages have been used to draw theoretical
> designs using individual atoms.

Completely unsuitable tool for the job.

If you want to know where the bottleneck is: it's where it's been all along.

We need a validated library of mechanosynthesis reactions.
We need a validated library of mechanosynthesis reactions.
We need a validated library of mechanosynthesis reactions.
We need a validated library of mechanosynthesis reactions.
We need a validated library of mechanosynthesis reactions.
We need a validated library of mechanosynthesis reactions.

After we have that, you can use these atomic anabolic/catabolic steps +
deposition constraints to create the MNT equivalent of a silicon compiler.

I will people here would talk Jaguar, Gaussiand and Gamess (and that package
Zyvex is using) instead of AutoCAD.

Anyone now go read http://discuss.foresight.org/~pcm/nanocad/index.html

--
Eugen Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>