[extropy-chat] A new life/health extension meme...

Chris Phoenix cphoenix at CRNano.org
Mon Jun 28 15:50:59 UTC 2004

I've found that when I talk about life extension, or even health
extension, people start reacting weirdly; they worry about Alzheimers,
or the meaning of life, or social justice, or boredom...

I think I've come up with a way to introduce the topic without
triggering all that.

"If they developed a pill that would make you five years younger for
each pill you took, how many of them would you take?"

"Five years" short-circuits the bogus philosophy.
"Younger" short-circuits the medical worries.
"A pill" makes it sound simple and cheap, mitigating worries about
social justice.
"They developed" may bypass skepticism by invoking R&D.
"How many" makes it clear that the user has a practical, straightforward
choice that will have a large but comprehensible effect on his life, and
further distances the question from practical worries.

I'd appreciate it if people would try this out on relative strangers
(not people who've already built up opinions on life extension) and
report their reactions.

Chris

--
Chris Phoenix                                  cphoenix at CRNano.org
Director of Research