[extropy-chat] ex-tropical

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 10:35:40 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com>
To: "'ExI chat list'" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 1:45 PM
Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] ex-tropical

> Adrian Tymes wrote,
> > Some of it is sci-fi, some of it is not unexpected.
> > E.g., Europe having to deal with a lot of immigrants:
> > that's happening today.  But planetary depopulation
> > primarily from famine?  Earth is more likely to be depopulated by mass
> > emigration to off-Earth living facilities than by famine.
>
> This is ludicrous.  The Hunger Project reports that 20,000 people die
every
> day from hunger.  Other statistics claim this is as high as 35,000 people
> per day.  You really expect thousands of people to be leaving earth *per
> day* in the foreseeable future?  I don't.

Harvey...Out of curiosity, do you have an idea of how we can cure this
problem? It has always been my understanding that most of this is caused by
evil governments, political instability, and/or stupid religious beliefs.
Even when we send money or food, it is taken by others. I am assuming that
the land that is occupied by these people is incapable of supporting human
populations.

Seriously, I am not messing with you here. Isn't this a problem that could
be cured? Maybe we could strike a deal with some African natin where we get
to make a huge area of green land and fresh water into a 51st state. Then we
offer transportation to all that would like to go there. We lay down the
laws, explain the laws before they come in, and enforce thos laws. No
bullshit coups, wars, etc. It's our state and we make and enforce the laws.
We start with a simple economy. Labor jobs for natural resources, and we
train people on the way.

I know it sounds oversimplified, but my point is that noone has seriously
tried to "solve" the problem. I'm sure a lot of people would not want to go
there because they wouldn't want to be subjected to our laws, or simply
because they don;t like us. But at least then it is their choice to die of
hunger.

This reminds me of a conversation a couple of weeks ago about terraforming
Earth. Big projects that are way out of the box of current political
thinking. But that doesn;t mean they can;t be done.

So have you put any thought to this?

> --
> Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
> Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec
Manager,