[extropy-chat] FSP: Killington Votes to Secede

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 21:35:03 UTC 2004

Actually there is talk amongst certain circles of the
entire State of California seceeding and taking
Oregon, Washington, and possibly Hawaii and Alaska
with us. It has a lot to do the Federal government
continously interfering with our rights of self
determination in such matters as marijuana
legalization, gay marriage, embarrassed to the whole
world by Bush. etc. I think sophisticated California
urbanites are sick of being pushed around in the
electoral college by the huge swath of red states in
the middle of the country that really have less in
common in California than Mexico, Japan or other
modern Pacific Rim culture does. At least our current
governor owns up to smoking marijuana to "relax his
muscles". He can't become president of the United
States of America... but the United States of
Pacifica? Who knows. *wg*

> There are quite a lot of residents who would support
> splitting Northern California from Southern
> California.  The topic has been seriously proposed
> before; IIRC, there was a movement pressing for a
> vote
> on it within the past 20 years.  Among the main
> things
> stopping it is that Southern California, which has a
> lot more political strength, would have its supply
> of
> water imported from the north threatened, and
> they're
> not about to let that happen.

=====
The Avantguardian

"He stands like some sort of pagan god or deposed tyrant. Staring out over the city he's sworn to . . .to stare out over and it's evident just by looking at him that he's got some pretty heavy things on his mind."