[extropy-chat] Bubble fusion--strong evidence for it.

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Fri Mar 5 16:12:03 UTC 2004

Jeff Davis wrote:

>Extropes:
>
>Just a small comment.
>
>So we have here a confirmation of the feasibility of
>"cold" fusion, ie kitchen table-top low tech fusion.
>(We all note how this fusion method is called "bubble"
>fusion.  Nary a whisper about c*** f*****.  Thou shalt
>not go there.)
>
>Anyway,...
>
>Fleischman and Pons used an electrolysis setup.  Ran
>DC current through palladium electrodes, remember?
>Now there may be no connection whatsoever, but...
>
>The DC current was probably rectified 110 VAC line
>current.  Could it possibly be that the alternating
>current was not completely filtered out.  Say some
>higher harmonics?  Say, something in the ultrasonic
>range?  With the right geometry one might get a
>resonance in the equipment at an ultrasonic frequency.
> With such a resonance the unfiltered
>ultrasonic-frequency artifact could build up to
>generate a bubble-cavitation fusion event.  And if F &
>P weren't aware of and couldn't discern the mechanism
>of the reaction, well then,...possible explanation of
>the cold-fusion phenomena.
>
>Just something to think about.
>
>If you're having a deja vu moment, it could be because
>I mentioned this same notion a long time ago in a
>prior cold-fusion thread.
>
>Best, Jeff Davis

I actually tried to put an SBSL system together in about 1996.
An SBSL chamber must be big enough to act as a resonator for
the frequency in question: 25Khz works well, so the chamber
has a diameter of about 4cm in water.

to get a smaller chamber, you need higher frequencies. for the
micrscopic accidental chambers you propose, you need
frequencies in the megahertz range.

But SBSL works by concentrating energy. During the espansion,
the bubble forms and absorbs heat from the liquid. Then during
compression the bubble heats adiabatically. This is an absolute
effect based on bubble volume, so the thermal energy goes with
the cube of the maximum bubble volume.

In the megahertz range you propose, the bubbles do not have
enough time to absorb heat, or to achieve the needed size.

In addition the amount of power needed to create the ultrasonic
standing wave is quite large. You must work at it.  My rig used
a 100W audio amplifier: brute-force approaches use 1000W amplifiers.
A perfectly tuned system (perfect acoustic resonance, perfect electrical
resonance,  and nearly lossless acoustically and electrically) might get
away with 10W: I have not seen anything like this is the literature.

The amount of energy available in the AC component of a poorly-filtered
DC power sullpy you speak of is tiny. The amount of this energy that is
avaialble in higher harmonics drops extremely rapidly as frequency rises.

Conclusion: Your theory is completely wrong. Its wrong by approximately
15 orders of magnitude.