[extropy-chat] Buckyballs to the rescue- novel drug discovery

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sat Mar 6 16:52:21 UTC 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. wrote:
>
> >  Buckyballs (the 60 carbon variety ), formerly a curiosity of alchemy
>
> Alchemy??? I thought C60 was a bit beyond the alchemists.

Actually, I'm reasonably certain you can find C60 in soot
from a fire that is hot enough (though others may want to
check this...).  So if the alchemists had had electron
microscopes they might have discovered it.  Given that
they didn't C60 may have simply been an unknown component
of carbon black.

Robert