[extropy-chat] Cryogenics Economics- Estate Tax deferral?

Greg Burch gregburch at gregburch.net
Tue Mar 9 03:31:03 UTC 2004

I'm a lawyer, I don't specialize in estate/tax law (as we call it, "gifts and stiffs"), but I can safely say to the question of tax deferral -- not a chance.  First, in the United States most people (or I should say, most dead people) don't pay estate tax: The vast majority of government revenue from the estate tax comes from a tiny fraction of wealthy individuals.  (The one unusual exception to this is the few relatively large "family farmers" who aren't really wealthy in monetary terms, but are "land rich").  Second, the law is conservative by nature.  LAWS about cryonics (I presume this is what you mean, although you write "cryogenics") will be the LAST thing to change: Commercial and social practices will change first.  For now, the people who are in suspension are legally dead, and whatever needs to be done to deal with that legally should be done.  (Note this is a key element of most funding for cryonics, which is by life -- or rather death -- insurance; something I DO know quite a bit about professionally.  I can say with rather chilling certainty (pun intended) that my life insurance clients only pay upon the death of the insured person.  A successful reanimation would throw the life insurance industry into a death spiral (arrrrggghhh!)  Finally, the idea of entrusting one's wealth until one is reanimated is EXTREMELY problematic, as the few people who have looked into it at any length can attest: There's an old and pesky thing called "the Rule Against Perpetuities" which prohibits perpetual private trusts.  As far as I know, no one's ever satisfactorily solved this problem.  Of course, if people in suspension were ever to be considered legally NOT dead, this wouldn't be a problem, since the infamous Rule Against Perpetuities only applies to the bequests of dead people.

GB -- http://www.gregburch.net

P.S. the rather obscure Rule Against Perpetuities actually appeared in popular culture about 20 years ago; as a plot element in the film "Body Heat."