[extropy-chat] Cryogenics Economics- Estate Tax deferral?

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 22:53:39 UTC 2004

From: Greg Burch

>Finally, the idea of entrusting one's wealth until one is reanimated is
EXTREMELY problematic, as the few people who have looked into it at any
length can attest: There's an old and pesky thing called "the Rule Against
Perpetuities" which prohibits perpetual private trusts.  As far as I know,
no one's ever satisfactorily solved this problem.  Of course, if people in
suspension were ever to be considered legally NOT dead, this wouldn't be a
problem, since the infamous Rule Against Perpetuities only applies to the
bequests of dead people.

Great points, Greg.

Some cryonicists have considered, and I believe some have ,or at least had
intended to, invested some of their money in bank(s) in a small country
(can't remember which one) near Switzerland.  The bank(s) would allow money
to remain in the "property" of the owner of the money while that same owner
was legally pronounced dead.

Natasha