[extropy-chat] Cryogenics Economics- Estate Tax deferral?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 04:00:37 UTC 2004

--- David Lubkin <extropy at unreasonable.com> wrote:
> Natasha wrote:

> >In contrast to the Anglo-american trust, Liechtenstein law adopted
> neither
> >the rule against accumulations nor the rule against perpetuities so
> that
> >it is possible to establish a trust having a perpetual existence.
>
> The Rule against Perpetuities limits trusts to life plus 21 years.
> Note that it's not just *your* life; it could be the life of your
> descendants
> that are living at the time of your deanimation. Which, even without
> life extension, lets you put money aside for about a century.

However, in my research into using trusts for real estate purposes, I
have found that you can roll the assets of one trust into another
without penalties or taxes. So what if the first expires 21 years after
you are dead? You roll it into another trust, and new trusts every 21
years.

If you think the sigularity is 30 years away, you only need to roll
your trust assets into one new trust 21 years down the road before you
will be reanimated.

> "no [contingent] interest is good unless it must vest, if at all, not
> later than twenty-one years after some life in being at the creation
of the interest."

> But several states have changed their laws over the last few years
> and now allow perpetual trusts.
>
> No limit -- Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Maine,
> Maryland,
> New Jersey, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Virginia, Wisconsin.
>
> 150 years -- Florida
> 360 years -- Washington
> 1000 years [unconfirmed] -- Utah, Wyoming
>
> thinking about it -- Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Nebraska, Nevada,
> New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Texas.

Yes, there are quite a number of trusts in NH that have served quite a
number of purposes for more than 100 years after their benefactors
deaths. I received a partial scholarship when I graduated high school
from one such trust, which was instituted in 1910.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                       - Gen. John Stark