[extropy-chat] Bubble fusion--strong evidence for it.

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 11 11:49:41 UTC 2004

Alan Eliasen wrote:

>    There has been evidence that this experiment has been attempted at Oak
> Ridge National Laboratory and that,
>
>    "In the review, D. Shapira and M.J. Saltmarsh report that they found "no
> evidence for 2.5-MeV neutron emission"--one of the telltale products of fusion
> reactions, and further research is needed.  In their response, Taleyarkhan and
> colleagues report that Shapira and Saltmarsh did, in fact, detect neutron
> emissions, but the reviewers had improperly calibrated their detector and
> thus, misinterpreted the findings.  Taleyarkhan's group agrees that further
> study is needed."

   Sorry, I think I may have quoted a mis-dated article.  The latest results
actually have the imprimatur of the Oak Ridge researchers (at least
Saltmarsh,) and by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Purdue, and The Russian
Academy of Science, indicating that they believe to have replicated the
experiment.

   There are still many skeptics, due to the fact that neutron emissions and
gamma emissions are lumped together by the study.  The skeptics also have some
simple test variations that really should have been performed by the original
experimenters.

   http://www.rpi.edu/web/News/press_releases/2004/lahey.htm

   In any case, the latest researchers seem to be far more intellectually
honest than Pons and Fleischman, who may not have known that palladium could
absorb so much hydrogen, and that said absorption would almost exactly account
for their results, but who still make money off scamming investors for more
pointless cold fusion work.

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself