[extropy-chat] CULTURE: Did Romans ruin Greek Culture?

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 11 21:02:14 UTC 2004

From: The Avantguardian:

> Any thoughts?

>>     In this way Rome did not bring an end to Greek
culture so much as preserve and perpetuate it through
history intertwined with the other threads of the
tapestry of Roman culture. It did not "die" but
instead merged with cultures and traditions from the
far-flung corners of the Empire: Persia, Syria, Gaul,
and Punica. Culture is a color. Civilization is the
rainbow. <<

I appreciated reading your summary.  I agree with you and think that
narrowing history down to "culture" vs. "civilization" in term and meaning
is a misnomer.

Within a world where we borrow and loan ideas to and from others, how can
any one culture truly die.  Culture is a continuous merging.

Natasha