[extropy-chat] Parenting: Are there any secular Summer Camps?

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 12 01:59:19 UTC 2004

As many of you know, I recently acquired custody of my two wonderful daughters. They are 9 and 7 years old. Lately they have been asking about the opportunity to go to summer camp.

Personally, I would love to send them to a summer camp for a week or two. Some of my fondest memories are from summer camp. But I am having trouble locating a camp for them. Each one I find seems to have a goal of indoctrinating the children into the Christian faith. Some go as far as to have 2-3 hours of bible study per day!

Was it like this when I was a kid? I don;t remember it so. Both  the salvation army and YMCA have programs, but...well, here's a copy of the YMCA Mission statement:
OUR MISSION:
The YMCA of Southwestern Indiana, Inc., following the example of Jesus Christ, responds to community needs by serving all people, especially youth, through programs that promote healthy spirit, mind, and body.

Isn;t there a camp where kids can just have fin and learn some things rather than having to worry about all that hellfire and brimstone?

I considered Space Camp, but they are too young to go alone so I would "have" to go. Unfortunately, it is $379 per person! I am in Southern Indiana, so the Gulf, East and west Coasts are all out of the question. It has to be in the midwest.

I didn;t know if someone might have had this same problem in the past and might know of a decent place. Any ideas?