[extropy-chat] new sports again

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 16:34:15 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Last Saturday I was at the Daytona 200 watching the
> bikes scream past.  It started me thinking about a
> topic I have posted before: our sports are so mature
> that they have become boring, even the thrilling ones
> like motorcycle racing.  We need new sports.  Tomorrow
> morning I am heading out to Barstow Taxifornia to
> watch the robot races.

Spike: Are you bringing a video camera? Since this is a government
sponsored race, are the broadcast rights open?

> Wouldn't it be cool to rig
> motorcycles to race themselves around a track like
> they have at Daytona?  Would not thousands of yahoos
> pay good money to watch robobikes race?  All racing
> strategies that we know would need to be rethought.
> That would be kewallllll!  {8^D

Nope. Geeks would watch, but that is only because we anthromorphize on
our toys. Part of sport is the risk of blood on the ground, and animal
blood on the ground is out of the question for anybody but southern
rednecks and Spaniards. So, unless you can build cyborgs, I doubt such
sports would get as much airplay.

Now, I'm wondering who watched "Tripping the Rift" last night on Sci-Fi
Channel? This episode featured a sport of chainsaw weilding athletes
playing a game that is a combination of basketball, Aztec hip-ball, and
Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This show is pretty funny, a combination of
Jetsons, Space Balls, Simpsons, and The Man Show. Not for kids.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                       - Gen. John Stark