[extropy-chat] Century City: The law show of the future

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Thu Mar 18 03:01:33 UTC 2004

Hal Finney wrote:

>Overall, I was pleased with the show's exploration of ideas.  The mere
>fact of a non-dystopian future is a pretty radical concept today.
>But they went beyond that and explored concepts that are the kinds of
>things that we discuss all the time.  That's very brave for a mainstream
>show.  They also seemed pretty sharp technically and I didn't see any
>major errors.

My first reaction was the rant of a younger Harlan Ellison against the
stupidity of television. This show was not 2030. It was 2003 with a couple
of new capabilities. Hair, clothing, furniture, vehicles, behavior,
language -- it was all a mundane now.

It fails miserably as sf. It *does* work as propaganda, however. I talked
to Marc Stiegler about this once. He doesn't try to paint a plausible broad
view of the future; he tries to influence it through his writing.

The reality is that most people don't read sf (or even read books), don't
know much science, and aren't that smart. But they do watch tv.

The clone plotline cut through to a simple, human reality that viewers
could relate to, better than any number of EXI/WTA talking points or
talking heads.

The other story, I thought, came out stronger for remaining unmodified but
it was also about respecting individual choice.

One of the executive producer is Paul Attanasio, who wrote the entertaining
but flawed Sphere and The Sum of All Fears, along with Donnie Brasco and
Quiz Show. He's also co-creator of the tv show Homicide. Another exec prod
is Ed Zuckerman, who had a lead role in running JAG, The Agency, and Law
and Order.

The writers all have solid backgrounds on shows that were both decent and
successful, but none has written sf at all. Two of the directors have
modest sf experience.

So it looks like they've got a crew that has a track record of creating tv
that makes money and wins awards and knows nothing about sf or, presumably,
what we anticipate for 2030.

The key questions for us are where will the writers come out each week on
the tough issues and do they have decent technical advisors. I'd be
delighted if they could get anywhere near Picket Fences. Each week, David
E. Kelley tackled a tough question and gave a credible presentation of each
side. "Fair and balanced," as it were.

-- David Lubkin.