[extropy-chat] Altered genes let roundworms wiggle longer

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Mar 23 02:21:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, David Lubkin wrote:

> Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
>
> >1) Just because humans are not *currently* like worms, is no
> >assertion that they cannot be made like worms.
>
> I, for one, have known more than a few humans who were worm-like.

Yes, clearly David.  But I was attempting to deal with the
with the question that dauer like state might or might not
have a survival benefit to the species.  (With specificity
whether Damien's arguments could have significant merit.)
(For example one might have various arguments as to whether
being in a conscious state was or was not essential to the
evolution of humanity...)

Now, with regard to the questions posed.

> Have any of you actually been to Alcor, behind the scenes?

No.  Though I do know people who work "behind the scenes".

> Is it possible that cryonics literature discussing humans in
> a dewar is simply a perpetuated Fred Chamberlain misspelling?

David, I am not sure that I understand this statement.

So I will attempt to deal with it given the best available
technologies at this time.

The best available technologies indicate that one can freeze
oneself -- and that given future advances in technologies
that frozen structures may be reanimated.