[extropy-chat] Transhumanism: Social Equality and Politics

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Mar 26 21:33:50 UTC 2004

Natasha -

It isn't productive to challenge the entrenched political forces
directly on their own playing field.  Such an attempt is sure to fail,
not only due to the disparity in size and clout, but also because the
existing powers are highly tuned to popular sentiment  and exploit it
effectively.

Technological, social, and political change is happening, and the
overall trend is toward ever-increasing complexity which includes
greater awareness, freedom and potential.  This process will continue in
any case, because the underlying drivers are much more fundamental than
our current social structures.

The challenge, and the opportunity, is to facilitate this change in the
most effective way, and minimize the pain and loss that accompanies all
great change.

Interestingly, and perhaps to be expected, we are just now acquiring the
tools to achieve this.  Tools for effective information management,
sharing, and collaboration are augmenting the awareness and intelligence
of individual humans and groups.  This synergetic, bottom up process
will eventually displace strong top-down government.

The question is, how much pain and loss will go through as we proceed?

There are some who have looked at this problem and promote racing to
create a friendly AI that will save us.  Despite noble intentions, the
glory of the quest, and a comforting wish to be saved by a higher power,
these efforts are missing the mark, in part due to an elitist arrogance
that inhibits collaboration.

Natasha, if you want to make a difference toward this cause, I would
suggest using ExI as a clearing house and resource for extropian and
transhumanist thinking.  Create an example of what can be done by
establishing highly effective collaborative and knowledge management
tools.  Promote constructive dialogue that stimulates young people, by
maintaining a dynamic list of intriguing questions and thoughts on
extropian issues.  Direct the creative thoughts of members into a
growing knowledge base rather than the dissipative ego battles that
currently predominate. Be prepared when the mainstream media begin to
come calling -- they're already waking up to these issues.

We're going to get there.  And it will be in a pervasively intelligent
environment where governments no longer hold their historical monopoly
on power. The best thing we can do right now is help promote greater
awareness and effective intelligence among humankind.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net