[extropy-chat] E-Prime (was: Transhumanism: Social Equality and Politics)

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sat Mar 27 18:00:43 UTC 2004

David Lubkin wrote:

> I suppose then
>
> "John has a birthday not today but Friday." or
> "John has a birthday on Friday not today."

"John's birthday will occur on Friday."

(I assert that this statement implies the second statment also,
because you know that today is not Friday.)

However, "birthday" is not precise, so the following may be better:

"John's mother bore John on a prior anniversary of Friday."

I have not studied E-prime. I simply restated your assertion in
less ambiguous english.