[extropy-chat] Altered genes let roundworms wiggle longer

Sat Mar 27 23:37:55 UTC 2004

On Saturday, March 27, 2004, at 06:17 pm, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, March 27, 2004, at 04:48 pm, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
>>> There are going to be people who insist that they want the original
>>> atoms in the original form.
>>
>> Has anybody ever really claimed this on this list?
>
> Harvey -- to the best of my knowledge nobody on the list has
> attempted to assert this.  I did offer it as the straw-man
> because I suspect there are a *lot* of people in the world
> who (being unexposed to the list and its related educational
> aspects) might take that position.

I doubt this.  I think it is a non-issue and the wrong problem to solve.

Specifically:  I think the real concern is not whether we can attach
the label "self" to new copies, but whether we can *detach* this label
from the original or pre-existing copies that are already identified as
"self".

Also:  I don't recall anybody objecting to the *creation* of copies.
People only seem violently opposed to the *destruction* of the original
or pre-existing copies.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec