[extropy-chat] Anti-Aging Gene

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Sun Mar 28 09:01:29 UTC 2004

Most of us think aging is inevitable. But one scientist has committed her
career to proving us wrong. As this ScienCentral News video reports,
genetics research could lead to anti-aging drugs.
What if there was a drug that made you feel like a 45-year old at the age of
90, and could eventually help you live to be 200? Scientists think it's
possible, and are trying to make it a reality. "A lot of people think that
aging is something that just happens, it's inevitable - you know, we wear
out like old cars do," says Cynthia Kenyon, professor of biochemistry and
biophysics at the University of California at San Francisco. "But it turns
out that that's not completely true."
Kenyon's so optimistic in her quest to extend life that she founded a
company, Elixir Pharmaceuticals, to eventually create an anti-aging drug for
people. That goal could be more than a decade away, but if Kenyon succeeds,
would she take such a drug herself? "Yes, absolutely. I don't want to get
old. And I don't think I'm the only person that feels that way. In fact, if
you read Shakespeare's sonnets, so many of them are about the anguish of
aging. People don't like to get old, they don't like to lose their
abilities, their capacities. So for people who love life, like I do, what
could be better?"

---