[extropy-chat] Re: Nano-assembler feasibility

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Mar 28 15:35:55 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 10:05:30AM -0500, Technotranscendence wrote:

> I haven't been following this discussion closely, but I feel an
> incremental approach might be necessary here.  Why can't bacteria be
> used as models of what needs be done to make a nanoassembler?  Yes, they

Because the repertoire of chemical structures bacteria can create is quite
limited, as well as their degree of control over the product. Engineered
biology in theory could create a whole set of macroscopic objects, but we
can't do that yet.

> are not _universal_ nanoassemblers, but they do make more of themselves
> as well as other things.  Can't one just use this as a rough

We can make them to make bread, cheese, wine and beer, but, say, cars?
Houses? Solar panels? Not necessarily impossible, but rather inefficient.
And very very hard.

> approximation of a nanoassembler specification?  (Hopefully, initial
> non-universal nanoassemblers would be a bit less complex than bacteria.

There's nothing particularly complicated about a 3d lithography printer.
The difficulties are at scaling down the design to nanosccale.