[extropy-chat] Re: ECON/Liberty: Is choice bad for you?

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Mar 30 01:29:10 UTC 2004

 (3/29/04 14:45) Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:

>Future technologies of ubiquitous and pervasive computing will allow this
>kind of support to be with us all the time.  Faced with an overwhelming
>selection at the grocery store, your shopping agent will instantly
>highlight the product which has gotten the best reviews from those with
>tastes like yours.

The problem is, of course, that individuals tend not to have a good fit with "aggregate" tastes, no matter how small a sample population you choose. In the end, I fear, even with ubiquitous computing, we'll still be trying to "maximize."  We'll just have more time to do it.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein