[extropy-chat] big bright light in the northwest

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue May 4 05:32:13 UTC 2004

> Well I think that adequately demonstrates that it's been many
> many years since I did anything with astronomy (as opposed to the
> not-watching-the-sky parts of astrophysics that always seemed more fun
and less cold).

> Reason
> Founder, Longevity Meme

OK someone help me here.  I read a hilarious story in one
of Carl Sagan's books, (I think it was one of his books.)  I
have been trying to find it but no luck, and Google hasn't
found it.  As I recall the story went apprximately like this:

Dr. Sagan was at an observatory working on a SETI project
when the phone rang.  He was sitting right beside
it so he answered.  The clearly inebriated voice said:

Lemme talk to an ashtrominer.

Sagan:  This is Dr. Carl Sagan, I am an astronomer.

Drunk:  Whash that briiiight liiight way up in the west?

Sagan:  That is Venus, sir.

Drunk:  It washnt up there before.

Sagan:  Venus is a planet sir.  It orbits the sun in an orbit
that makes it visible in the evening sky only half the time.
Right now it is at its peak brightness.

{long pause}

Drunk:  Lemme talk to a *real* ashtrominer...

{8^D

Anyone know where that story is located?  spike