[extropy-chat] Suda et al papers (was Cryonics without comprehensive brain disassembly?-No)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 5 18:27:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:41:25PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Merkle is not a cryobiologist. He's a cryptographer turned computational
> nanotechnologist, postulating total reversibility in absence of facts which
> speak otherwise. It is very difficult to get him to listen, because (for
> whatever reason) he assumes the burden of proof is on your side, not his.

Somebody fetch me an oralopede, quick. What I meant: there's lots of
empirical evidence for irreversible information erasure through structure
denaturation, and plausible mechanisms for such. Not a good place for
argumentation by vigorous handwaving, and "prove it"..

> I've seen enough to maintain that there's enough in there to undertake
> vigorous research. Don't claim the area isn't worth studying, the potential
> damage is very high.

I.e., if cryonics is viable, any personal responsibility in
delaying large-scale deployment makes you the greatest genocide perpetrator
in entire history, by a very far margin.

Ditto any gerontology/longevity research, of course.

http://webdeveloper.earthweb.com/repository/javascripts/2003/10/276371/deathcounter.html