[extropy-chat] Maximising Human Potential : Education : Toys

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Wed May 12 16:49:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Paraphrasing from another source...
>
> Solar-rechargable, long-range (satellite, preferably)
> PDA terminals that can connect to the Internet, [snip]

> Of course, this would be incredibly subversive to many
> third world governments, and therefore likely
> confiscated on sight along with food. [snip more]

Interesting suggestion.

N. Korea's population is 22 million, say 20% in the 6-18
year old range and you have ~4.5 million.  Say that many
PDAs mass produced and delivered for $50+/each and you are
talking something like $250 million.  Compare that with
the cost of $6+ billion/year to keep ~35,000 troops in S.
Korea, or the $2-4 billion/month(!) to keep ~120,000 troops
in Iraq.  We could be dropping PDAs/Satellite phone combinations
and ubiquitous solar powered WiFi networks all over the countries
on a quarterly basis (so what if the regime confiscates them --
we are just going to provide more of them in a few months...).
After a few quarters the population is going to wise up enough
to figure out how to avoid the military or police trying to
confiscate the devices.

It has already been shown in India that you don't have to provide
training for these things -- they gave children access to terminals
on the street and the children taught themselves and then each other.

It was also reported today that "gangs" are taking over Internet
Cafes in China where the government has denied access to individuals
under 18.

It would appear to me that minority oppressive regimes will not be
able to survive in regions where ubiquitous inexpensive communications
between individuals becomes available.

Robert