VEGAS (was: RE: [extropy-chat] American Humanists Association...)

Matus matus at matus1976.com
Wed May 12 18:23:22 UTC 2004

Robert Bradbury said:

<snip>
> But Las Vegas
> is to a large extent what a significant part of what life may
> look like when serious life extension kicks in.
<snip>

Robert, I was looking for a great way to offer an opposite opinion to
Michael Anissimov's view of Vegas but you beat me to it and quite
eloquently.

There are many great things about Vegas, for one thing it is the annual
conference hot spot, everything from Motorcycles to the upcoming Freedom
Fest to the Consumer electronics show hold large conferences there.  It
is a great place to live for people who have a wide diversity of
interests.

Additionally, it is a thriving city smack dab in the middle of a desert,
standing as an emblem of human achievement to me in that regard.  It
also has the highest home ownership ratio in the country (so I'm told)
and immigrates some 70,000 people per year.  It stands in stark contrast
to New York city, an old run down rent controlled relic while Vegas
routinely blows up multi billion dollar buildings that are quite young
to build new ones, and all this when there is certainly no shortage of
land.

I do not smoke, gamble, nor would ever higher a prostitute (which is
illegal in vegas) but I plan on moving out there in about a year (toss
up between vegas and new hamsphire) for all its values, as many people I
greatly respect think it is one of the best places to live.

Michael Dickey