[extropy-chat] Extropy Institute Newsletter

Extropy Institute exi-info at extropy.org
Wed May 12 20:24:12 UTC 2004

Extropy Institute Newsletter
PROACTIONARY PRINCIPLE ISSUED (05.12.04)

Greetings!

This month's newsletter is featuring
<b>The Proactionary
Principle,</b> a topic of Extropy Institute's
recent Vital Progress Summit I, 2004.  The
Proactionary Principle is authored by Max More,
based in large part on the Summit and the keynotes'
statements, Summit participants' discussions, and
everyone who contributed their time and
skills to the proceedings.

<b>In Memory of Roy Walford</b>, Extropy Institute's
advisor,
colleague and
close friend.  <br> It is
in his memory that we continue to work toward
proaction, as Roy was a strong supporter of critical
thinking and moving beyond unrealistic retraints placed
on society.   Roy was the true Rennaissance Man. We
miss
him dearly.
A second Exponent Newsletter will be coming out this
month with ideas on our transhumanist culture,
upcoming summer conferences, and how to submit your
ideas and talents to "TAC" for the TransVision 2004
Conference.

In the News
* The Proactionary Principle
* Looking at the Principle
* A Tribute To Roy Walford
* Robert Freitas speaks about <i>Nanomedicine, Volume IIA: Biocompatibility </i>

The Proactionary Principle
People's freedom to innovate technologically is highly
valuable, even critical, to humanity.

This implies several imperatives when restrictive
measures are proposed:

Assess risks and opportunities according to available
science, not popular perception.

Account for both the costs of the restrictions
themselves and those of opportunities foregone.
<BR><BR>
Favor measures that are proportionate to the
probability and magnitude of impacts and that have a
high expectation value. <BR><BR>Protect people's
freedom
to experiment, innovate, and progress.

The Proactionary Principle >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.cxlwl9n6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extropy.org%2Fproactionaryprinciple.htm

Looking at the Principle
We held the VP Summit with a goal in mind.  That goal
was to address President Bush's Bioethics Committee's
<i>Beyond Therapy</i> report.  Keynotes at the
Summit wrote they views about this report and the use
of the Precautionary Principle as a rallying tool against
the reasonable use of technology to help people
overcome disease and injuries, and to improve the
human condition.  We spent the
past two months reviewing the material and comments
made by Summit attendees.

Max More, a philosopher known for his level-headed
thinking scholary intellection, looks at:

<b>-</b> Unpacking the Proactionary Principle, we
arrive at
these factors to take into account ... (read on)
<b>-</b> A Proactionary Alternative to the
Precautionary
Principle ... (read on)
<b>-</b> Principle Against Progress ... (read on)
<b>-</b> What's wrong with the Precautionary
Principle? ...
(read on)

pursuit of progress. Being proactive involves not only
anticipating before acting, but learning by acting. When
technological progress is halted, people lose an
essential freedom and the accompanying opportunities
to learn through diverse experiments. We already suffer
from an undeveloped capacity for rational decision
making. Prohibiting technological change will only stunt
that capacity further. Continuing needs to alleviate
global human suffering and desires to achieve human
flourishing should make obvious the folly of stifling our
freedom to learn.  <br><br>

Let a thousand flowers bloom! By all means, inspect the
flowers for signs of infestation and weed as necessary.
But don't cut off the hands of those who spread the
seeds of the future.

Looking at the principle ... >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.cxlwl9n6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extropy.org%2Fproactionaryprinciple.htm

A Tribute To Roy Walford
With the passing of Roy Walford, the bright glow of our
species flickered and dimmed. Roy was one of many
thousands of human beings whose lives terminated on
April 27, 2004. But he was not just one of the many;
Roy was a true individual, a character, and a champion
of values we hold dear.

Roy was an expert practitioner of Nietzsche's "great
and rare art" of "giving style to one's character". No
one would describe him as a loud-mouth or show-off,
yet his distinctive way of living and looking at the world
made an impression on others. When you think of Roy,
you might think of his academic research, or his
pioneering and unrelenting advocacy of extending the
human lifespan. Or you might think of the impressive
mustache he sports on some book jackets.

If you had the good fortune to know Roy more
personally, quite different impressions might come to
mind: Perhaps you think of Roy the frequent global
traveler and natural anthropologist, or as a gentle but
powerful magnet that drew attractive, younger women
into his orbit. You might wonder how someone could be
a widely respected scientist and simultaneously display
in his bathroom a poster that made broadcast its
message in such a painfully pointed way. You might
puzzle over Roy's capacity for welcoming and enjoying
the hedonic aspects of life *and* advocating rigorous
caloric restriction.  In describing (or eulogizing) the
great and rare art, Nietzsche made explicit the
conditions of giving style to your character, of shaping
all your strengths and weaknesses into an "an artistic
plan until everything appears as art and reason". Those
who succeeded "enjoyed their finest gaiety in such
compulsion, in such constraint and perfection under a
law of their own". Most of us aren't good at living under
a law of our own, walking the line between tyrannical
discipline and reckless or irresponsible dereliction. Roy
was a law of his own, in the demanding and complete
sense intended by the German who philosophized with a
hammer.

... (read on)

A Tribute to Roy >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.dxlwl9n6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extropy.org%2Froywalford.htm

Robert Freitas speaks about <i>Nanomedicine, Volume IIA: Biocompatibility </i>
We spoke to Robert today and this is what he had to
say about his new book:<br><br>
"I expanded the original Chapter 15 of Nanomedicine
Vol. II into a full
book-length treatment (Vol. IIA), in part because most
of the questions I
was getting from medical people about nanorobotic
medicine pertained to
biocompatibility issues. I was being asked how the
immune system would
react to nanorobots; whether people could develop
allergic reactions to
these devices; whether or not white cells would
attempt to eat nanorobots
placed inside the human body; whether nanorobots
would cause itching
sensations; and so forth. So I decided to take the first
comprehensive look
at all of these issues, and the result is Nanomedicine,
Vol. IIA. One
interesting result of this work is the realization that
phagocyte avoidance
and escape protocols will be very important for medical
nanorobots -- the
book discusses about a dozen ways of doing this.

"First published in
hardcover by Landes Bioscience in 2003, this
As for the future, besides continuing my work on the
Nanomedicine technical
book series I'm also trying to provide technical support
to help push
forward the safe development of molecular
nanotechnology (MNT) as fast as
possible. To this end, I've recently co-authored a
technical book with
Ralph Merkle entitled Kinematic Self-Replicating
Machines
http://www.MolecularAssembler.com/KSRM.htm
(due to be published in August
2004); substantial pre-publication discount available
directly from the
publisher, at landesbioscience.com.  I'm
also working on some practical implementation steps
towards diamond
mechanosynthesis -- my recent papers on this subject
are cited at
http://www.rfreitas.com/NanoPubls.htm, and a
technical book on diamond
mechanosynthesis is in preparation."

"Please check out
the IMM website for
news on the IMM Freitas Research Fund, and how you
can directly support my
research efforts and help me help make the future
happen!"

Thank you Rob for sending us your thoughts on your
new book. Congratulations are in order, and we hope it
is a great success! <br> <br>

The second volume in the Nanomedicine book series by
Robert A. Freitas Jr.,
Nanomedicine, Vol. IIA: Biocompatibility, is now freely
available online in
its entirety (see below).

<i>Nanomedicine, Volume IIA: Biocompatibility </i> >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.exlwl9n6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nanomedicine.com%2FNMIIA.htm

TransVision 2004:  Submit your Videos, websites and net.art ! >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.fxlwl9n6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.transhumanist.biz

Quick Links...
Extropy Institute >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.nlr4mzn6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fnew.extropy.org%2F
How do I join ExI? >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.hozkwwn6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extropy.org%2Fmembership.htm
What about the Extropy email list? >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.lozkwwn6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extropy.org%2Femaillists.htm
Tribute to Roy Walford >> http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=k9poi9n6.rmatvyn6.dxlwl9n6.yb4rxun6.2058&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.extropy.org%2Froywalford.htm

email: info at extropy.org
voice: 512 263-2749
web: http://www.extropy.org

Extropy Institute | 10709 Pointe View Drive | Austin | TX | 78738

This email was sent to extropy-chat at extropy.org,
by Extropy Institute.

Update your profile
http://ccprod.roving.com/roving/d.jsp?p=oo&t=1011272335178&m=1011086851128&ea=extropy-chat%40extropy.org

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://ccprod.roving.com/roving/d.jsp?p=un&t=1011272335178&m=1011086851128&ea=extropy-chat%40extropy.org

Privacy Policy:
http://ccprod.roving.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp