[extropy-chat] Scientists Confront 'Weird Life' on Other Worlds

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Fri May 14 15:36:25 UTC 2004

Alejandro Dubrovsky wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 17:09 -0700, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
>
>> Also Mike, if you have my PhysProp.xls spreadsheet and look at the
>> BondStrength sheet you will see (if I'm interpreting it correctly
>> that the C-C bond strength is almost identical to the Si-Si bond
>> strength so I'm not quite sure why carbon is the basis for organic
>> life while silicon is the basis, in part, for geochemistry (and
>> semiconductors...).  A puzzle perhaps.
>>
> I think the bond strengths are similar in the diatomic case, but
> carbon does chains without losing strength, while si-si bonds drop to
> 226 kj/mol in that case.  Also si=si bonds are very unstable
>
> alejandro

There are a number of other inorganic polymers used in industry that may
be more stable than polysilanes (Si monomer). Unfortunately I don't have
any references here as to the bond strengths.

Polysiloxanes

   R'

Polyphosphazenes

-(-N=P-)-

     R'

There are a lot of other inorganic monomers but these are the most
common flexible ones.