[extropy-chat] UFO - Mexico Scare!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon May 17 16:30:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:56:20AM -0500, Damien Broderick wrote:

> I started a thread on this a couple of days ago. Ball lightning seems an
> unlikely explanation, as does weather balloons. (These things were said to
> be invisible to the eye but radar painted three of them and 11 were

I've seen the FLIR video (radar is largely useless: there are all kinds of
weird blips to be produced by signal processing artifacts). The FLIR blips
looked like lens artifacts (they moved totally synchronously), but they
seemed to pass behind clouds (video was awful, so it was hard to tell).
They didn't look like bolides (or some slow-moving massy strange stuff) passing through
atmosphere (it would be interesting to see their apparent course plotted; was
that a line or an arc?). None of the video showed objects changing course
(moving independently, then) to surround one of the planes.

> detected by FLIR infrared detectors.) They are imaged going behind clouds
> and coming out again, moving at a fair clip, hence unlikely to be blown by

Did they say what the estimated speed was? It didn't look like the usual UFO
reports with madly dashing object, changing speed and direction in mid-course
as no material object could.

> wind.

Obviously not, it still looks like a natural phenomenon (possibly a yet unknown
one), or an imaging artifact (if not outright hoax, that's almost always the
simplest explanation) to me.

Imo, unless they produce lots more of really eyebrow-raising stuff, this is
only mildly interesting cathegory.