[extropy-chat] Nano: Distancing itself from Transhumanism

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:05:38 UTC 2004

The original article URL on the site of the Converging Technologies
Bar Association is:
http://www.ctba.us/news.asp?postid=9
Very disturbing indeed. Since Roco is known as a sympathizer of
transhumanism (as is the president of the CTBA), the words quoted may
have been put there by the reporter or said by Roco as a PR line. But
this would mean that he thinks a perceived association with
transhumanism can be harmful to those wishing to pursue "serious
science" in a mainstream environment.
I am very disturbed by the bullshit about human dignity. Whoever has
assisted a sick person or watched a person dying knows that
transhumanism is all about human dignity. Whoever has seen a smart
brain destroyed by Alzheimer knows that transhumanism is all about
human dignity. Whoever understands that we humans are not as mentally
healthy and smart as we should be knows that transhumanism is THE ONLY
WAY to foster human dignity in the truest sense of these words.
Unfortunately these views cannot be dismissed and will continue to
pose a problem as long as transhumanism is not "taken seriously" and
perceived as "respectable" in the worlds of academy, finance and
policy making.
In other words we must buy a pinstriped suit with a smart tie and wear
it on appropriate occasions. Every teenager learns that as soon as
(s)he grows up: it is what you are supposed to do to be taken
seriously by adults in an adult world.
I agree with Natasha that there is a lot of work to do to correct this
image problem, and could not agree more on "I'm afraid that all
transhumanists are going to have to work together in the coming years,
rather than pointing a figure at any one organization for being the
culprit".

On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:30:41 -0400, natashavita at earthlink.net