[extropy-chat] Max's "Beyond Caution" reworked a bit

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Thu May 20 01:13:08 UTC 2004

The Nietzsche quote is well played.  I do indeed "feel the breath of
empty space" - the colossal size of the step beyond all that we know.
It is perfectly natural that we would feel some fear as we take the
very shape and limits of our very selves into our own hands.   It is
truly an awesome challenge and mistakes could indeed be quite costly.
I find it easier than some to understand that many do not believe we
are competent to take such a step without immediate disaster.   They
have a quite legitimate worry.   If I was not so utterly convinced that
staying as we are leads irrevocably to disaster and relatively soon, I
might even be more supportive of their camp.

Accomplishing change is natural.  So is being conservative and
resisting more change that may be wise to attempt at once.   Both
adventurous and conservative forces have a place in human well being
even as we become able to go beyond what we thought our human nature
was limited to.

I don't think the main gist of the resistance is due to some collision
with belief in a perfect creator.   To me the main worry is that we are
stepping beyond, and beyond the beyond, with little idea of where we
are stepping to or of whether we will have greater well-being than we
have today.   Few people can imagine so much change.  We ourselves
admit our plans lead directly to more change in a shorter period of
time than it is remotely possible to imagine.   So there are legitimate
reasons to exercise caution and advocate restraint to at least some
level.

I don't think we do ourselves justice or convince anyone or even seem
like reasonable people when we simply paint the "opposition" as being
given to irrational progress-hating myth-based views.   There is
undoubtedly some of that but then there is enough irrationality in our
own house.   There are quite rational reasons to be cautious.

Why not meet the opposition half-way where we are both rational and
wish for the best for all of us?  That point precludes the stopping of
progress but it also precludes the reification of any/all progress as
the Good Incarnate.   It requires more sobriety all around.

- samantha