[extropy-chat] monty hall paradox again

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 23 11:13:02 UTC 2004

Spike wrote:

> > Could it really be that you don't realise?  Could it be that you
> > do realise and some others don't and that you enjoy that?
>
> Oh I enjoy it, but no I do not realize.  Read on.

I am glad you enjoy yourself Spike. Your enjoyment is infectious.

#1 Or maybe not. I'm confident you changed your hypothetical a bit
in the first post and that that affected my approach to the problem.

I wasn't sure you had a single problem in mind rather than a cluster
of similar problems that somewhat paradoxically, you were trying to
work into a usable (and fun) paradox.

#2 Haven't worked that out logically yet. I can. But deliberately
haven't. Intuitively, when I last posted I saw that it might matter. I
could have been wrong.  I'd started breaking it out mentally into
events and times and dependencies. I was comparing two scenarios.
One where the messenger offered the trade after the choice and the
other where the messenger advised that a trade would be offered
after the first envelopes contents were determined. Even played
with a combo of the two (probably irrational). You apparently
think that (two cases) doesn't matter mathematically.  Bizarrely
(at this stage) to be honest, (to give insight into thinking) I haven't
done it mathematically, so what I think you think - I haven't yet
checked :-)

My feeling was (without meaning to be impolite) if you couldn't
specify a clean hypothetical why should I spend time on trying to
resolve likely or potentially resultant paradoxes.

#3 Fix it? Do you want the paradox preserved ('coz paradoxes
are fun and then you can use it to test something else) or do you
want it solved? Not promising I can do either, but I know I can't
do both at once.  *Suspect* I could do either. Paradox there
too. But merely apparently.

Hmm. Stream of consciousness over :-) Stand back for red face
or insight.

Cheers,
Brett
(not drunk or drugged :-)