[extropy-chat] balloon stations at the edge of space

Reason reason at longevitymeme.org
Mon May 24 01:17:00 UTC 2004

Well, lots of balloon volume per colonist, of course. I imagine that
materials science will stretch to vacuum balloons sometime in the coming
decades, but I'm not up to the BOTE calculation to see what the size/cost
ratios are like for building, supplying and long term use of helium
balloons. (And ergo whether it can realistically be done without some order
of magnitude breakthroughs in helium-obtaining and/or balloon-material
technology parameters).

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme