[extropy-chat] monty hall paradox again

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon May 24 04:36:12 UTC 2004

> Brett Paatsch:
>
> I'd be curious to see if you can fault him.
> With dollars we have an idea what the units are...
> So you can plug whatever you want into "zorg" including dollars
> if you want...
> I'd like to see what you think of David's offering Spike.  Brett

Between David's idea and Eliezer's I think I see where my
sim might have lead me to the wrong answer, but I still
do not see how you would know to stick or swap in the
10 zorg example.  The reason I think I was getting so
tripped up is that when you write a sim, you *must*
give the sim some range over which to generate the
random number, and this violates the premise of the
puzzle.

Right now my mind is temporarily nonfunctional from a
run up Mission Peak above Fremont on a day when it was
just a little too warm for that activity.   But
it was well worth it, for I saw something on the way
up that made so much sense and was simultaneously so
absurdly self contradictory, I cursed myself for not
having with me a camera:  I saw a presumably arabic
young woman running down the mountain wearing typical
western style running shorts, running shoes, a T-shirt and...
a chaddor.

We occasionally see women in chaddors around here, those
head and face covering scarfs that Muslim women wear;
my own neighborhood has two families where the women
don the chaddor.  Only the eyes show.  Today a young
athlete wore that over her head and face, while allowing
her quite attractive young legs and arms to be gazed
upon by arbitrary many ogling admirers, including
my ever so humble self.  I have decided to purchase one
of those camera-phone things.

It was such a wacky juxtaposition of ideas, such a living,
breathing, running *paradox* that I just had to laugh
out loud.  When you think it over, that outfit makes
perfect sense, does it not?  Perhaps this is the closest
thing we will ever see to a conservative Muslim streaker.