[extropy-chat] Muslim paradox

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Mon May 24 12:44:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Damien Broderick wrote:

> At 09:36 PM 5/23/2004 -0700, Spike wrote:
>
> >We occasionally see women in chaddors around here, those
> >head and face covering scarfs that Muslim women wear;

Ok, let us look at this from the perspective of rational
discussion.  In theory a chaddor would hide the face of
a woman and perhaps to some extent her health status.
(Jaundice could for example be judged by skin color.)
So this would put men at a disadvantage when seeking
a healthy mate.  On the other hand, once married a chaddor
would hide the woman from the world making her a less appealing
target for overtures to stray from marital fidelity (this all
goes back to the fact that until DNA testing became available
men had no way to know for sure that a child was theirs).

Does any of this make sense???  Or is the chaddor simply some
expression of male dominance over females (an expression of
"ownership" perhaps)?

Robert