[extropy-chat] Maximising Human Potential : Education : Toys

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon May 24 21:09:45 UTC 2004

At 01:49 PM 5/24/2004 -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote about the current
unpleasantness:

>So how about, "We
>don't have the resources to build your pipes - we keep
>getting shot at - but here's how to build it yourself,
>and rebuild it if someone blows it up."  Once armed
>with the right information, most villages could and
>probably would spare a few mens' honest days labor so
>that everyone had clean drinking water.

Adrian--what?! You think the Iraqis are palaeolithic dopes or something?

And ya gotta love that "if someone blows it up." I wonder who that someone
could be?

>  It's the
>same principle behind why there's such a fuss today
>about Iraqis policing themselves.

Ahem. For a different opinion, perhaps consult Bob Herbert's view:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/24/opinion/24HERB.html?th

Damien Broderick