[extropy-chat] Imitation and flattery

J Corbally jcorb at irishbroadband.net
Tue May 25 23:41:07 UTC 2004

>Message: 24
>Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:15:10 -0400
>From: Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org>
>Subject: [extropy-chat] Imitation and flattery
>To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>
>I'm curious to know what the folks involved in the Free State organization
>make of this:
>http://www.christianexodus.org/
>Amusement? Bemusement? Disgust?
>Brent
>--
>Brent Neal
>Geek of all Trades
>http://brentn.freeshell.org
>"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein

Not sure what the Free Staters think, but I'd say it'll sputter and
die.  If there's one thing that seems to ring alarm bells in the U.S., it's
talk of secession.  There's an air of treason about it.

They seem quite tied up on the whole gay marraige thing, in fact I get the
feeling that was the trigger event (if this is a  fairly new
organization).  Only problem for them is of course that many gay people are
Christians, so this might cause something of a schism.  Another angle is
that when CCW laws are introduced in various places, there's the usual
"they'll be killing each other in the streets" outburst, followed by
embarrassed silence when the bloodbath doesn't happen.  I've a feeling gay
marraige will be the same, and once fence sitting Christians see that, it
will make such "revolutionary" ideas all the more difficult to sell.  In
fact it might just embarrass them into moderacy, damaging the Conservative
Christians all the more.

In all honesty, it sounds very desperate, pathetic.  Another of the "oh woe
is us, the poor persecuted Christians" tirades.

James...