[extropy-chat] balloon stations at the edge of space

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Wed May 26 18:51:28 UTC 2004

John K Clark wrote:

>"Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com> Wrote:
>

>>Vacuum balloons, while a nice SF fantasy, are not physically practical
>>

>How about using a conventional balloon to get up to 150,000 feet or so and
>then start your vacuum pump to get rid of the air in the vacuum balloon. It
>wouldn't have to be nearly as strong or heavy as one launched at sea level.
>
>  John K Clark     jonkc at att.net

But the advantage of vacuum over hydrogen at high altitude is
negligible. The balloon is supported by differential pressure, not
absolute pressure. For a given volume of balloon, you need a much
smaller amount of hydrogen at 100K feet than at sea level. If I recall
correctly, the same mass of hydrogen will provide the same lift,
independently of the pressure of the outside atmosphere. That's why a
stratospheric balloon is empty on the ground, but swells to a sphere at
its maximum altitude.

The problem is not going to be mass, but volume. The project uses three
types of balloons: the ascender, the station, and the orbiter. The
ascender and station are primarily flotation devices. The orbiter can
apparently float at the altitude of the station (nominally 140K feet)
but depends increasingly on aerodynamic lift to replace flotation as it
ascends to the top of the atmosphere. This means lift and drag forces
must be counterbalanced. Eventually, lift and drag go away and we are in
a pure ion thrust regime, but this thrust must also be counterbalanced.
So, will it take less mass to maintain the shape with hydrogen pressure,
or with structural elements?