[extropy-chat] Extropian Principles 3.0, Russian translation

Gennady Ra anyservice at cris.crimea.ua
Fri May 28 13:12:28 UTC 2004

At 03:18 AM 5/27/04 -0700, you, Natasha, wrote:

>Gennady, are you translating the most recent version of the principles?

No, I am not. Unfortunately, I found the latest version, Principles of
Extropy, Version 3.11 when I almost finished the old Extropian Principles
3.0. I have not read the most recent version yet, just skimmed through. It
seems that all basics are preserved and better honed but without fundamental
changes in the main text but I am not sure, as I did not compare the
versions carefully. When I have time, I'll gladly translate the latest
version, too. By the way, each version has its merits (so far six versions
are available). For instance, in the version 2.6 "extropy"  is defined as "a
measure of intelligence, information, energy, vitality ("life" in On
Becoming Posthuman), experience, diversity, opportunity, and growth." In The
Extropian Principles 3.0 it's defined as "the extent of a system's
intelligence, information, order, vitality, and capacity for improvement"
("the extent of a living or organizational system’s intelligence, functional
order, vitality, and capacity and drive for improvement" in the version
3.11). While I find the latter more laconic, terse and concise, "energy,
experience, diversity and opportunity" exhilarate me as well!

A remarkable detail: I had to use seven Russian words to translate a single
English word "intelligence". We do not have a one-word equivalent for this
notion.

>Everyone:  Do you know someone who would translate the principles in
>Japanese, Spanish, Chinese, etc.?

Los Principios Extropianos 3.0 (Espanol) is available at
http://www.extropy.org/ideas/principles-es.html
along with I Principi Estropici 3.0 (Italiano), Extropianske Principy 3.0
(Slovensky), Die Extropianischen Prinzipien 2.6 (Deutsch). See Site Guide
page at http://www.extropy.org/site/index.html .

Best!

Gennady
Simferopol Crimea Ukraine