[extropy-chat] Complexification [was Extropian Principles 3.0...]

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Fri May 28 22:06:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Damien Broderick wrote:

> At 07:35 AM 5/28/2004 -0700, Robert wrote:
>
> >However, I have a very simple perspective.  Extropy is the opposite
> >of entropy.  Another way of viewing it is that Extropy is the process
> >of complexification.
>
> Don't forget iterated processes of refinement. Complexification can include
> clutter; it takes a lot of work to hone it down to robust elegance.

Damien is correct.  Simple complexification will only work some
limited fraction of the time.   I think it might be enough to
get life going in some cases.  But then one may reach the
point where you can see and predict aspects of the future.
In such cases, as Damien points out, refinement of ones view,
particularly when it may be being communicated, plays an important
role in how quickly and effectively one can transmit the knowledge.

Where it may become interesting is when the people involved in
the complexification process begin to realize how many directions
it can take (bacteria don't have this problem...).  Then one must
make choices with regard to which direction is best and how to
steer the ship.

Robert