[extropy-chat] Psi again--a challenge

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat May 29 20:06:58 UTC 2004

Psi, sigh... I know, I know, the general assessment of this list is
strongly against the very possibility of paranormal perception being real,
rather than a congeries of errors, illusions, delusions and fakes.

However, I'd like to suggest that everyone here put in a couple of minutes
once a week for a month on the following real-world psi-application
experiment in precognition:

http://moebius.psy.ed.ac.uk/~fiona/GambIntro.html

It is run by Dr. Fiona Steinkamp of the Koestler parapsychology unit at
Edinburgh university. Her experiment is simple but quite elegant. It
includes some features designed to offset usual biases: for example, the
figural options shown are shuffled on each presentation, and nobody can
submit more than one response per week. (This is *not* a challenge to
hackers to work around this and inundate poor Fiona's experiment with loads
of phoney data. Please play nice.)

I'll be interested to see what she finds. I should stress, perhaps, that I
have no role nor personal stake in this experiment.

Damien Broderick