[extropy-chat] DAY AFTER TOMORROW meets Asimov

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 16:34:00 UTC 2004

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 06:23 PM 5/29/2004 -0700, Robert wrote:
>
> >It would of course be nice if we had an example of rapid
> technological
> >change in a positive direction rather than a negative direction.
>
> Judging from the promo, it sure as shit won't be I, ROBOT, despite
> the disgraceful misappropriation of Asimov's name. Dr. Susan Calvin
> is no longer a crusty old virgin genius but now a hot young pouty
> bimbo.
> Robots run amok. Okay, in that respect it's probably more realistic
> than Three Laws containment, but it would have killed poor old Isaac
> if he weren't dead already.

Nah, 'zack always appreciated pouty bimbos. It's how he found his
second wife while still married to the first... If you are talking
about the robots amok, I don't see that either. While it wasn't at the
forefront in his novels, his robots did, in fact, send ships all over
the galaxy committing genocide via terraforming against any number of
intelligent alien races, which is why in the Foundation series only
humans inhabit the galaxy. Daneel was no saint, nor were his comrades.
Their zeroeth rule only resulted in the rationalization of the deaths
of trillions of intelligent alien beings, who were judged not 'human'
only because they didn't have the look of homo sapiens.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)