[extropy-chat] Heinlein and thinking for yourself

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 13:15:58 UTC 2004

--- Stephen Van_Sickle <sjvans at ameritech.net> wrote:

> --- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Doesn't matter. Your comments do not fit the excuse
> > making that Damien
> > states. What you are saying is that productive
> > people owe a living to
> > the unproductive or else, period.
>
> That isn't what was said.  What I got out of it was
> that it can be in the interests of the productive to
> sometimes support the unproductive.  Not right, but
> expedient.

"in the interests" is a euphemism for saying "if you don't pay these
louts off, they are going to run riot, loot, and pillage", which fits
exactly my description of "pay up or else".

Yes it is in the interests of the productive classes that civilization
not be torn down by the unproductive, just as it is in the interests of
families to pay up the demanded ransom when their kids are kidnapped.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)