[extropy-chat] IRAQ: Weapons pipeline to Syria

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 14:41:58 UTC 2004

--- Rik van Riel <riel at surriel.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, RobKPO wrote:
>
> > How about accuracy, empathy, and awareness that the public will not
> be
> > told everything regarding strategic decision making.
>
> Some interesting facts were presented in a PBS documentary
> a few days ago, though.
>
> For example, the army's battle plan for Iraq calls for over
> 400,000 soldiers, with the understanding that it is harder
> to make peace than it is to make war.
>
> In the run-up to the Iraq war, Rumsfeld sat down with the
> army and started cutting the number of deployed troops, at
> times down to individual units.   "You don't really need 3
> brigades here, you'll get 2."
>
> Meanwhile, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz testify in congress that
> "it is ridiculous that making peace could require more troops
> than making war".
>
> We can all see the end results of these leadership decisions.

I do agree on this. Rummy and Wolfowitz have apparently fallen into the
same micromanaged trap that Robert McNamara did during Vietnam, which
Powell refused to allow during the first Gulf War.

Now, if whoever winds up in the White House decides to send more
troops, they need to be trained in policing. On this note, I'd suggest
the government send a good chunk of its own cops here in the US who are
surplusage in the Drug War. It wouldn't be a draft since they are
already public servants.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)