[extropy-chat] extreme inequality *and* wealth-sharing as downregulators

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 15:12:24 UTC 2004

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> At 12:29 PM 10/31/2004 -0500, Rik wrote:
>
> >The only good
> >inequality is one that can be overcome by individuals that
> >simply outperform others.  IMHO inequality should act as
> >a motivation for people to do their very best; the moment
> >inequality becomes so big it demotivates people we have a
> >problem.
> >IMHO, the sharing of wealth should be done only up to the
> >point where it helps to give everybody the opportunity to
> >be successful.  I believe this includes things like basic
> >healthcare, education and safety.
> >
> >Too much more than that, and people might lose the motivation
> >to be productive.  Too much less than that, and you reduce
> >the ability of people to be productive.
>
> This sums up my own current estimate, too. Nicely expressed.

The best motivators, in the words of many wealthy persons who started
with nothing, was the determination to never live in poverty again.
When people are spared that negative reinforcement, there is less
motivation resulting.

Large inequalities only demotivate people when they see that the state
has put in place barriers to themselves ever reaching similar heights
of wealth. These include barriers to escaping poverty (means testing
for welfare support), barriers to accessing capital (excessive
government debt raising interest rates), and barriers to accessing
clientele. "Big businessmen are what small businessmen know they could
be if government got out of the way." - Ronald Reagan

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)