[extropy-chat] Cancer-resistant mice age normally

Joao Magalhaes jpnitya at verizon.net
Tue Nov 2 17:00:00 UTC 2004

Hi,

It looks like cancer-resistant mice have a normal lifespan and age normally.

Here's a link to the story on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3971103.stm

This is a very nice work by Manuel Serrano's group in Madrid as it shows
that increasing cellular defences against damage, while influencing cancer,
does not impact on aging. What it tells me is that aging is not merely a
result from damage accumulation. It also raises questions on the link
between cancer and aging--one which I've argued for in the past.

All the best,

Joao

---

Joao Pedro de Magalhaes, PhD

Harvard Medical School, Dept. of Genetics
Avenue Louis Pasteur, 77, Room 238
Boston, MA 02115
Telephone: 1-617-432-6550

http://www.senescence.info